Mark your calendar for July 2021 to be part of the 40th International Choral Festival of Preveza. The festival will be held from 4 to 10 of July 2022 in Preveza. The International Choral Festival of Preveza counts 39 interesting and exciting years of high-quality choral music, challenged by excellent choirs which are continuously raising its standards and a great variety of intercultural experiences with participants from all over the world. The festival includes numerous concerts given at idyllic locations of the area like the seaside fortress of Preveza and the historic Ancient Auditorium of Nikopolis “Odeon”. For visiting choirs, Preveza provides an opportunity not only to perform; but also, to experience some of the world’s best choral music, soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the mingling, singing and fun, and explore the picturesque city of Preveza and its surrounds. The festival will be managed by the Choral Society "Armonia" of Preveza, under the patronage of the city of Preveza. Choirs are eligible to join the festival as non-competitive choirs participating in all the performances of the festival.
Apostolos Antoniou, President
Christina Kitsou, Vice President
Panagiotis Galanis, General Secreatry
Vassiliki Sarri, Treasurer
Anna – Ypapanti Soldatou, Commissioner
Ioanna Kotsi, Commisioner
Kosmas Koronaios, Commissioner, Festival Director
It will be a great honour and joy for us if you come to our beautiful town and take part in the choral competition. We invite you to find out by yourselves that Preveza is a charming and hospitable town full of historical sites and locations of natural beauty and experience the magic of choral music.
- Closing date for receipt of completed applications is 1 May 2022.
The International Choral Festival of Preveza is an institution of high artistic quality, both in the Greek and in the international choral field. More than 400 choirs from all over the world have been on its stage, while great personalities have been accredited to its International Jury Committee with their presence, guaranteeing with their glory for the artistic status of the festival as well as the reliability of its procedures.
All kinds of choirs can participate in the non-competitive festivities of our festival. Working on the direction of its greater spread worldwide, we would like to inform that you will all find out an attractive destination that manages to combine both high artistic value and quality, as well as the advantages of a beautiful tour, as our region is full of archaeological sites from the Ancient Hellenic period and areas of great natural beauty, too. Besides, staying in Preveza could be an opportunity both for day trips to the surrounding area and excursions to the greater area of our precinct.
Participating non-competitively gives choirs the opportunity to present informal performances in various locations across the city, while having the possibility to meet with other choirs, see some of Preveza’s beautiful countryside and attend all the festival’s manifestations. Non-competitive choirs are free to organize their own tourist activities while here but are asked to please keep the organizing committee informed as their itinerary comes together to ensure that no time-tabling cross over occurs. Different kinds of performances could be organised in cooperation with the participants. Opportunities to perform in different Greek cities (Lefkas, Ioannina, and Agrinio) are possible to be organised after choirs ask.
The place and the time of the non-competitive concerts will be arranged by the Organizing Committee that will also choose which choirs will participate in each concert. Pieces of each choir's choice (with a preference for sacred or folklore works) will be performed "a cappella" within 10-15 minutes.
Each choir is required to forward by 1 May 2022 latest:
- A fully detailed application form(which is attached).
- A recent CD recordingof the choir or approximately seven MP3 files sent by email
- Details of repertory
- Ashort history of the choir and conductor detailing activities and achievements (English Text, 250 words)
- A recent photograph(suitable for publicity purposes) of the choir and the conductor.
- A list of the names and addresses of the choirmembers that do not hold EU passports.
Festival registration fee
The selected choirs, after the acceptance of their participation by the Organising Committee, must pay a deposit of € 150, 00 (not refundable) towards the registration fees. Subsequently – not after the 15th of May 2022 – you will be requested to pay € 30, 00 for each member of the choir, including the director, the pianist/musicians, and the escorts (the fee does not include room & board). This includes entry fees for the competition and the festival. Please deduct the deposit of € 150, 00 Euros already paid from the total fee before paying the balance.
The registration fee mailed to the address of the festival or transferred to the following account:
NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE
Choral society “Armonia” of Preveza
Account number: 448/480188-16
Swift Code – Bic: ETHNGRAA
IBAN: GR 7201 1044 8000 0044 8480 18816
The festival does not contribute to a choir’s travel costs to and from Preveza.
How you can get here:
- By bus: Preveza is 370 km away from Athens (it takes about 5 hours to reach), which is the capital of Greece and 350 km from from Thessalonica(it takes about 5 hours to reach).
- Airlines: From Athens (ATH) to Aktio (PVK) - (1h and 5min).
Aktion Airport is located 3 Km south of Preveza, western Greece, close to the Ionian Island of Lefkas (approx. 15km), connected by a tunnel. Bus services run to Preveza and Lefkas. Taxi to Preveza should cost approximately € 20,00. Facilities include 3 bars/cafes, duty free shop, and an ATM. Every year an important number of charter flights (see the list at https://www.pvk-airport.gr/en/airline-list) have organized by various tours operators.
- By sea: The closest port is that of Igoumenitsa, which is 85 km away from Preveza and we should notice that it has itineraries to and from Italy daily (Brindisi, Bari, Ancona, Trieste). You should come by bus.
Accommodation, Meals & Transport
Each choir is responsible for all matters related to the organization, booking and payment of all accommodation and meals during their stay in Preveza. The festival is not responsible for any booking issues that may arise.
All the above materialis to be sent to the following address:
Choral Society “Armonia” of Preveza
P. O. Box 29
GR – 481 00, Preveza GREECE
For any further information, please contact us on the following:
Tel. 0030 2682 0 24915
Fax. 0030 2682 0 29852
Cell phone 0030 6977 1 32107
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Only applications enclosing all the requirements detailed under Application Procedure will be considered. Choirs are selected based on their application material. Particular attention is paid to the repertoire and quality of performance presented on the audition CD submitted with the application.
Conditions of participation
- Closing date for receipt of completed applications is 1 May 2022.
- Once the appropriate materialis received, it will be evaluated, and the applicant choir will be informed whether they are chosen to participate or not.
- Registration fee and participation fee (minus any bank charges incurred) will be refunded if a choir is not selected to participate in the festival.
- Any selected choir that withdraws from the competition is not entitled to a refund of the registration fee.
- It is contrary to law to perform music that has been reproduced illegally. Should a choir do so, the festival accepts no responsibility for any action taken by publishers.
- The Organising Committee accepts no legal responsibility whatsoever in respect of anything pertaining to a choir’s participation in the festival.
- The festival accepts no responsibility or liability for accommodation and meal costs incurred by the choir.
- The festival accepts no responsibility for any expense incurred by any choir or individual chorister participating in the festival.
- Participation in the festival implies acceptance of all the above rules and regulations
Broadcasting, Recording and Photographic Rights
It is a condition of participation that any choir agrees that:
- Any performance it gives during the festival may be photographed, broadcast live and/or recorded for subsequent reproduction and/or broadcast on radio and/or television without payment to the choir (or folk-dance group or orchestra).
- All broadcasting and photographic rights to any performance at the festival shall belong to the festival which will be free to dispose of them or utilize them in promotional materials it sees fit.
- Any performance it gives during the festival may, without payment, be recorded and the festival shall be entitled to possession of any such recording and shall further be entitled to reproduce any such recording and to sell, let for hire, offer or exposure for sale or hire, distribute, or otherwise dispose of any recording or reproduction of recording of any such performance in any manner that it sees fit.